Windows Azure Media Services preview launched!1 Comment
We had the opportunity to try the bits as part of the TAP program and I can tell you that this is worth trying. The usage of the SDK API is really friendly and with the getting started and how to documents (see below) you will be able to get started in a heartbeat.
This preview release supports:
- Use the Windows Azure Media Encoder and work with a range of standard codecs and formats, including industry-leading IIS Smooth Streaming, MP4, and conversion to Apple HTTP Live Streaming.
- Convert entire libraries or individual files with total control over input and output.
- Supported video and audio codecs:
- H.264 High, Main and Baseline Profiles
- VC-1 (Windows Media Video 9) Simple, Main and Advanced Profiles
- Windows Media Audio Standard
- Windows Media Audio Professional
- Supported format conversions:
- ISO MP4 (.mp4) to Smooth Streaming File Format (PIFF 1.3) (.ismv; .isma)
- Smooth Streaming File Format (PIFF) to Apple HTTP Live Streaming (.msu8, .ts)
- Encrypt live or on-demand video and audio with standard MPEG Common Encryption or Microsoft PlayReady, the industry’s most accepted DRM for premium content.
- Streaming Origin support for Smooth Streaming and Apple HTTP Live Streaming
- Seamlessly deliver content via Windows Azure CDN or a third-party CDN.
- Add a scalable origin server with or without a CDN.
- Scale to millions of users by adding a Windows Azure CDN or a third-party CDN.
Here is a list of resources that will help you get started with Windows Azure Media Services:
- Preview Account Setup: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MediaServices/thread/a9d3d1b4-09eb-4a28-ad1d-a1f4cf3123cb
- Release notes and known issues of the June 2012 preview: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MediaServices/thread/acbeb3a0-6ba9-44c7-9486-a74d24439745
- Windows Azure Media Services Documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973629
- Getting Started with the Media Services SDK for .NET: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973620
- Building Applications with the Media Services SDK for .NET: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973613
- Building Applications with the Windows Azure Media Services REST API: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973618
- How to use Media Services: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/how-to-guides/media-services/
- Windows Azure Media Services Forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MediaServices
- Media Services Status on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/WAMSStatus
Stay tuned! Many exciting features are planned for future releases.